Optimization: principles and algorithms - Network and discrete optimization
Introduction to network optimization and discrete optimization
Introduction to the mathematical concept of networks, and to two important optimization problems on networks: the transshipment problem and the shortest path problem. Short introduction to the modeling power of discrete optimization, with reference to classical problems. Introduction to the branch and bound algorithm, and the concept of cuts.
What you'll learn
- Networks: you will be introduced to the mathematical formalism of graphs and networks.
- Transhipment: you will learn about the transhipment problem (also called "minimum cost flow problem"), its properties, and some special instances.
- Shortest path: you will learn about algorithms to find the shortest path in a network.
- Discrete optimization: you will learn how to specify a discrete optimization problem.
- Exact methods for discrete optimization: you will be introduced to two algorithms to solve discrete optimization problems.
Other EPFL MOOCs
You'll find more information about EPFL MOOCs here. These courses in particular might be of interest to you:Optimization: principles and algorithms - Linear optimization
Optimization: principles and algorithms - Unconstrained nonlinear optimization
How to navigate through this course
Start the course by clicking on the below menu.
If you are new to edX and would like to learn how to navigate the edX platform, take this fun and interactive demo course designed to help you explore the edX learning experience. It is perfect to take before you start this present course.